Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 30-32: A couple of Romans, Hugh Grant, and some footie! :)

Day 30-32:
October 2nd aka Happy Birthday Felz! We left for Bath around 8am. I was PUMPED!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Bath! We had PERFECT weather! Our bus driver was hella nice too! The ride was GOREGOUS. We actually got to see bigger hills, so that was fun! It was like being at home! But it was better because around Bath there are just valleys and valleys of lush green, herds of sheep and horses, and these beautiful english manors and little farm houses that are soo beautiful. I love it soo much! Once we got into Bath I died. It was AMAZING!!! It sits in the middle of this valley and I there is this river that runs through it and kind of curves around everywhere. There are houses all over the hillside and they are all stunning! Oh man, I loved it! The first thing we did was go on a tour of the Roman Baths, which Bath is famous for. They were beautiful and really cool! They excavated all of these underground baths and different parts that made up the old city center of the Romans. It was amazing how they did everything back then. Everything was still in pretty good shape and it was amazing how they built modern Bath right on top and around the historical site. The city of Bath is just utterly gorgeous. Pictures don’t do it justice. After the tour of the Baths, we walked around the town and down by the river. The weather was beautiful and it made everything else better! While we were down by the river we met a yellow lab puppy named “Barley” and he was sooo CUTE. I also saw a pair of Teests (snowys) and they were club super cute! I wanted to take them. Rachel, Matt, Ben, Reckase, and I went to lunch at this VERY nice, but non-expensive place in the city. It was really cool. I had an amazing burger, so it was a success for sure. The whole trip was phenomenal! After lunch we went to the Bath Abbey which was hella cool. They had a crypt and everything, love it. When we arrived at the Abbey and the Baths (they are right next to eachother and surround a square along with a bunch of shops/restaruants/pubs) there was a guy playing the violin and he was FAMAZING! It defintely set the mood and it was very European. I love it here! :) I think if I had to move somewhere here, Bath would be one of my top choices. I love it soo much! Sadly, we had to leave Bath at 3:30, but it was a great trip! Once we got back, I watched a movie (Shaun of the Dead) with Sam, which was pretty funny. Great day! Miss you all! Loves!
I will try to post some pictures here, but they will most likely be Rachel’s due to the fact that my camera isnt working at the moment :(
Day 31:
Wow, today was a FULL day! Rache and I have decided that we are trying to get stuff done before we start travelling! And by getting stuff done, we mean, seeing touristy stuff that we want to see before we get hella busy. So we started our Saturday morning with a jaunt to Portobello Market on Notting Hill. It was a beautfiul area! Loved it! And the market was FUGE and PACKED! They sold EVERYTHING! I bought 3 really nice scarves for 5 pounds, so that was exciting! We walked around for about an hour and then got sick of the crowds, so we headed back towards the tube stop. We realized King’s Cross wasn’t too far out, so we decided, what the hell?! Lets go see where Harry Potter takes the train! So once we got there we found this small little wall that was “moved due to construction” haha yeah…How the hell are the wizards supposed to find it and get to the right place when it was MOVED?! Haha. Yeah…anyway, needless to say we took the stereotypical tourist photos and it was a great time! Once we got our fill of Platform 9 3/4, we walked around the area trying to find somewhere for lunch. We came across this coffee house-esque restaruant which was pretty cute. We ordered pizza and garlic bread. It was cheap and hella good! But here’s the thing. It’s very European, and sort of nice and all, but when you want to get things done, its not the way you want it to be. ANY MEAL HERE TAKES FOOOREEEVVERR!!! I understand that eating is more of a social thing, but honestly, oh my god! Seriously, I don’t want a pizza lunch to take 2 FRACKIN HOURS! It was a bit ridiculous, but that’s just the American in me talking. After lunch, we needed to walk off the pizza, so we decided to head to Camden (the birthplace of punk music, holla, right up my alley…not, but its still cool) and it was PACKED as well. OH man minkz! We headed towards what we thought was the market and ran into this really gorgeous neighborhood with huge houses, so we were like, huh, pretty sure this isnt it…So we looked around for a bit and ran right into the London Zoo of all places! HOLLA! JACKPOT! So we, like any normal person would, decided to find our inner child and go see the Am-in-als! We walked in with a bunch of 7 year olds and it was GREAT! We saw the reptile house, Gorilla kingdom!, and a bunch of other stuff. My top 3 fav’s were: 1. The monkeys! They had a bunch of spider monkeys in a small enclosure full of trees and a walking path, and they didn’t keep them in cages, they were just kind of all around this enclosure hanging out. So you could walk right up to them, didn’t pet em, they probably would have ran, but it was awesome! They were right ther! Holla! 2. The penguins! We got to watch them during feeding time and they were soo cute! Just like Happy Feet! :) 3. LIONS!!! And TIGERS!!! They had baby lion cubs and they were the most adorable things I have ever seen! Defintely simba and nala, nbd. I was pumped and the tigers were BEAUTIFUL! The zoo was awesome!!! :) Good choices! After the zoo though, we were dying. It was now 5:00 and we had left the house at 8am. SO! It was time to head home! We walked the mile or so back to the tube station and it took us an hour to get home. Tons of walking, but it was all worth it! So much fun! :) Great day! After we got back we just hung out and didn’t do much. We had dinner and hung out with the girls and went to bed early.
Day 32:
So Sunday it is! We thought we were going to be really productive and do another day full of touristy stuff, but we were hella tired! And the weather was pretty overcast and cold, so we weren’t motivated at all. Rachel and I got up early though, and walked to the really cute neighborhood by our flat and went to the Green Hotel for breakfast. It is this little bed and breakfast place that has a pub/coffee house feel restaurant on the bottom. I tried a full english breakfast for the first time! It was sooo good! Loved it! Had a great cup of coffee and it was perfect! :) However, once again, the meal took FOREVER! Another hour and a half. But, oh well! It was hella good. After breakfast we headed to Tesco to buy stuff for making lunches the next 2 days. We wanted to cook. When we got back to the flat and cleaned up, did some facebooking, etc, we decided to make taco salads for lunch. We are really good cooks! Holla! They were famazing! Matt came over and invited us to watch the huge rivalry game between Chelsea and Liverpool at this one pub, so we figured what the hell! I have always wanted to experience football european style, especially because the fans are ridiculous. We went down to the Fulham area and we just saw masses of people in all blue for Chelsea. It was ridiculous, but really fun. There were cops everywhere and bouncers at every door. They would ask who you were rooting for and that would determine whether or not you could go in or not. We decided that the area was a tad rowdy, so we headed back to the flat area and went to this pub down the street. Matt knows the owners, they are this really cute family, so we watched the game there. It was so fun! All of the fans are super cute! I love watching football (soccer), its interesting! :) After the game we just all hung out all night. Had a small dance party, nothing too extreme. I went to bed fairly early, so that’s always nice! Another day off tomorrow! HOLLA!!!

5 comments:

  1. A very interesting blog. You have done and seen some wild things. But I do notice you seem to have a bunch of time off!!! This is quite the experience! Is your camera problem the batteries? Just buy some at one of the stores and we will pay for them after next weeks check comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bath sounds like a dream. Just travelling there. Is it like you imagined or better? I hope we can go there together some day.
    Zoo sounded cool. Want to see the pictures of Platform 9and 3/4s.
    You are right about the time taken for dining. We Americans eat too fast, don't take time to enjoy it or each other. need to learn that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also remember to return to that interesting neighborhood church in the coming Sundays. Jesus would like to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh parents, I find you HILARIOUS. I miss both of you more than I can say. I will do so dad, no worries. LOVE YOU!!! And yeah, bath was FUPER!!! Prettier than I imagined. We do have a lot of time off :) HOLLA!!! :) And yeah, I have been looking for them...I will hopefully find some tomorrow when I go shopping. Talk to you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man pog, you make me laugh. i wish i could have been there to see the monkeys!!!

    ReplyDelete