Tuesday, November 3, 2009

FINALLY!

Hey Strangers! Im a terrible person, Im aware. Im sorry it has taken me so frackin long to update! But later is better than never, right? I hope so. Well, I left off the day before I went to York, which was the weekend of the 16th of October…Oh balls, so it was a long time ago…My bad. Anyway, off to York we go!!! Good times had by all! Rachel and I decided to take this really cheap bus company called the Megabus. Its actually really nice. We had to get up at 4am so we could get ready and arrive at St. Pancras International train station by 6:30. It is about a half hour tube ride away and we didn’t know exactly where to pick up the bus. When we got there we grabbed breakfast and found that we actually took a train for a part of the way. It was a gorgeous train ride! I love the English countryside. If I could put it in my purse, I would. The train ride itself was about an hour and a half and then we took the bus the rest of the way. The whole journey took about 5 hours. Once we got to York we were kind of dropped off on the outskirts of the city, so we had to take another bus to the city centre. Luckily, we found that York was actually pretty small for being one of England’s major cities. We actually could walk everywhere. It was so nice. I would say our small bed and breakfast (Holgate Bridge B&B, super cute and very nice people!) was about a mile away from every attraction we wanted to see, so it was great! (Althought the place was great, I was an idiot. I decided it would be really smart to put my waterbottle in my purse as we were walking because I had so much to carry, and it spilled all over…yeah, my ipod died…It was terrible! I was heart broken…Its my life, but its fine! I survived the situation…) We got there Friday evening, so once we got situated we went to a pub for dinner. While we were eating there was this small group of old men who were hella cute! Their accents were amazing! They sounded like Shrek, no lie. They swore a lot, which was kinda funny just because it wasn’t a big deal for them, yet this older couple was scoffing and shooting them death glares. It was a great meal! After dinner we walked around a bit and decided that we wanted to see “Fame” the movie, so we did. It was pretty good. I enjoyed it. Later that night, we decided to go on a ghost walk. It was supposed to be one of the best in England, but I wasn’t THAT impressed. It was interesting and all, but I think it could have been better. The guide took us all over York, down little alleyways and up to the big monuments and such. It was interesting to hear about York’s past. After that we were both hella tired, so we went back to the b&b and went to sleep.
The next morning we woke up early and had a complimentary full english breakfast with coffee! It was phenomenal! Loved my life! We got ready for the day after eating and headed out to see the Minster. It was gorgeous! We didn’t pay to go all the way in and look everywhere, but we went into the entrance and saw enough. It was HUGE! Next door was the Treasurer’s House, so we toured that. It was beautiful! They had this small cellar/cave thing that you could go down into and the floor was actually part of the original Roman road from when they occupied the area. They told us ghost stories down there, and it was so cool. We even got to wear protective head wear, so it was great! We were stylin’. When we got our fill of the house, we went and shopped around for a bit and ate at another pub. It was really good, but it took FOREVER. Dining experiences always do though…It kinda sucks when you are budgeting time, but oh well! After lunch we went and walked around on the city walls. Everything was so pretty from up there. All the leaves were changing colors and the houses all had these beautiful gardens and everything. It was a gorgeous sunny day! Loved life!
York has all these pretty gardens and parks you can walk around in, so we did that for awhile. A river also runs through York, so we walked around the riverside and over the bridges, which was hella pretty. Later that evening when we had walked everywhere we decided to take an evening boat cruise. It was soo pretty outside! The sky was a deep, navy and the stars were out (you don’t see them in london often…), it was great! The only problem was that it was FREEZING! Yeah, I almost got hypothermia, but its cool. Its all about the experience! The boat tour was centered on York through time, so we heard all about York’s history and different things we were seeing as we went. It was great! When the boat cruise finished we went out to eat at a really nice Italian restaurant then headed back to the b&b and went to sleep.
We left York pretty early in the morning (about 8am) and got back to London in the early afternoon. It was a really fun weekend trip and I definitely recommend going! The people were soo friendly and there was so much to see and do. It was another place I could see myself living. I was so upset on Sunday though because I had my huge theatre presentation the next day, so I had to work on that when I got home…I was a bit tired, but I survived. No big deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment