Saturday, September 19, 2009

Days 14 & 15: A bit of culture washed down with some more culture! HOLLA!





Day 14:
For Art in London our tutor, Lucy, took us to the National Portrait Gallery. The girls went early, so we decided to take pictures with the big lions in Trafalgar Square (where the National Gallery is p.s.). It was a beautiful morning, and really nice to just hang out on the benches and people watch. There is a new exhibition in Trafalgar Square aka “art” that is, people sign up for a slot of time (an hour), and are lifted on top of one of the pillars in the square, and can do whatever they want. This goes on 24/7 until October or something…I don’t remember. But, we saw a guy up there who was just holding up large mirrors, so it was kinda interesting. Our politics teacher told us that he walked by there the other day, and he saw a man who was completely naked doing different poses…so it’s pretty interesting. After awhile of waiting, Lucy showed up and we started class by going into the Gallery Café and having coffee (my kind of class! Holla!) and discussing the articles we read for homework. It was pretty fun, and then we got sent on a scavenger hunt type of thing throughout the museum. We saw a lot of really cool things and learned a lot. I love that kind of stuff! So interesting : ) Before class was over, she took us to the BP Portrait Awards exhibition and there were all of these portratis that had been in a competition that were painted by various people throughout England. They were AMAZING!!!! One guy even made a sculpture in his own blood…It was thouroughly disgusting, I almost vommed, but it was cool none the less. Now that’s dedication to the art. My favorite by far was entitled ‘Maggie.’ The painting consisted of a close up head shot of an elderly woman, who was the artist’s mother. She was stunning! Big beautiful blue eyes, a very interesting expression, and the cutest blue sweater. The painting looks like a photograph. I was so drawn to the portrait and I don’t know why. Possibly because it reminds me of both of my grandmas and my friends grandparents, my family, and a bunch of other things. But most of all, it screamed Taylor. I had to get it in some way shape or form, so I purchased a print of it for her. I hope she loves it as much as I do.
After class, I had lunch back at the flat with Rache, and then headed off to Politics. Once again, a very interesting class and the tutor was so nice and such a cute old man. Love him! I think that will be one of my favorite classes by far.
When class was over I just hung out in the classroom and called family and friends and went on the internet. Rache and I watched House Bunny too, and it reminded me so much of home. God, I love that movie!!! ; ) I miss you all more than you know, but I love it here. Its starting to feel so familiar and comfortable. Also, everyone is starting to get closer and more comfortable with eachother. I love it. We are going to Blenheim palace tomorrow and im SOOO pumped!!!  Holla!!!!
Day 15:
Friday, September 18th, not only a GORGEOUS day in England for a trip to Blenheim Palace, but also a great day for WROBELLION’s bday!!! Happy Birthday Wrobellion!!! I wish I was there to give you a hug and celebrate, but alas, im here…Being forced to go to a historical monument aka my future home! DAMN. Haha : )
So, off to Blenheim palace we go! Ahh!!! : ) The palace is located near Oxford, and was about an hour or 2 long bus ride outside of London. There are no words to describe the English countryside. Its just stunning. I love it so much. I feel completely at peace when I am out there. I know I described this when we went to Cambridge, but honestly, I cant get over how green and lush everything is. How you can have these rolling hills of greenery and little farm houses (with sheep, cattle, and horses SOO beautiful!) and little villages and houses that have been there for hundreds or thousands of years. It’s absolutely crazy and drop dead gorgeous! I couldn’t love it more! Once we got to the palace, I was in heaven. The word STUNNING does not describe it in the slightest. Its built on kind of a hill on a lake with rolling hills all around it. There is a drop down and hill that leads up to this huge statue that sits on a grazing filled with a huge flock of sheep (HARMONY!!!). There is a rose garden, a few other gardens with huge fountains and statues, as well as a lake walk with picturesque boat houses and such. WOW is all I have to say! And it doesn’t end there! There is a cinema as well as a whole other part of the palace, which you take a mini TRAIN to get to!!! And in that other part is a huge hedge MAZE and huge checkers, a butterfly garden, and café. We were pumped!!!
When we got there we had time to hang out for a bit, so we explored some of the gardens and took pictures, then we went on a tour of the palace. We could only tour the main part of the palace, because the family who owns it was actually home! Holla! And do you know who that family is?! Yeah, the Duke of Marlborough, aka one of the highest positions in the aristocracy of England, after the queen and princes of course. He and his family were home! Too bad we didn’t get to see them, but its alright, I will prob survive. Winston Churchill was born there…In the cloak room…Interesting, eh? Yeah, stepped on the ground where he came into the world…yeah, pretty sweet, im aware. He was actually part of the family that runs Blenheim, but he wasn’t in line for the Duke position.
The palace was stunning and filled with historical artifacts, gorgeous paintings, and hundreds of great stories! LOVED IT!!!! : ). After the tour, we decided to go out to the maze and have lunch at the café. Lunch was pretty good, but expensive : (. Not happy, but hey, it happens. The maze was SOOO much fun!!! I went through it with Krista and Sam, as Rachel and Ben had a race through it…Sorry Rache, but Ben kicked your butt! Haha :). It was a ton of fun and we met some really cute elderly couples inside. What a great time!!! : ). After we all finished the maze Rachel and Ben played Sam in chess, so funny. We headed back to the main part of the palace after we explored the FOTT minkz butterfly house…Never been that warm in my life…
Back at the palace, Rache and I decided to walk up the hill to the statue and meet the sheep. I wanted to pet one becaue it reminded me so much of Harmony Hop. However, the sheep were bitches…No offense. But honestly, who doenst like humans? Haha. They were really cute though! But major amy’s (Someone who judges). We climbed all the way to the top, not that easy considering that the ground was FULL of poop (dad you would have been pumped). The area was GORGEOUS though!!! There was a huge lake on either side, with a large stone bridge, swans and geese infested the lake, and there were trees everywhere!!! Stunning : ). As Rachel and I climbed down a different way then we came, we came upon a fence…yeah, that fence was obviously to keep the sheep in, however, it looked to be electrical, so I was nervous. Rachel just kinda launched herself over, but I wanted to take my time, due to the fact a. I don’t launch myself ANYWHERE, and b. because it was electrical, so I was FERVOUS to say the least. So as I was climbing over, I caught my foot on my purse string, that rachel was holding…Oh man, never laughed that hard in my life… Def. stumbled a bit and found out the fence was NOT electrical, so its fine! Hahah!!! Oh man minkz…What an experience. A gentleman walking by got quite the show and thought it was hilarious! : ) You’re welcome England, we will be here for 3 more months! NBD. After the fence fiasco of 2009, Rache climbecd a tree, but didn’t scrape her knee ( name that movie!!! Ok, you pulled my leg! Sound of music! Holla!). We headed back to the palace, had ice cream (famazing!!) with the boys and Gary and then headed back to London. Once we got back to London we went to a pub with Gary by our flat called the Albion. It is owned by this really cute family and one of the bartender/waiter ppl. Is named Sprog…Well, its not his REAL name, but that’s what they call him (obvisously because it means youngest of the family). He is super cute and always greets everyone with a hug and kiss on the cheek! Love this culture!! So friendly and nice! : ) We had a great dinner and then decided to go dancing! Haha…Oh man, soo funny because we didn’t just go dancing to go dancing, we brought our FUG moves…Aka we made a fool of ourselves, it was great!!! They played a ton of American music (duh…Because it’s the best!) and it was hilarious! Soo much fun! After awhile though we were fweat minkz and fired (sweaty and tired) so we went back to our flats and went to bed. Overall a great day!!! Long and tiring, but so much fun and action packed !!! : )

1 comment:

  1. Did you take pictures at the fence? Hoe about at "Baryn's Dance Party Night Out 2009?"

    ReplyDelete